Home Visiting Llangwm Walks Facebook Links Contact

Welcome to Llangwm, Pembrokeshire

Accommodation Local Services

Galilee Baptist Chapel

Contact

TBC


Services

Every Sunday at 10:30 am, all are welcome.


Women's League

The Women's League Meetings, with a variety of interesting speakers, are held fortnightly on Thursdays at 2:00 pm in the vestry, except during the summer months.


History

The first Baptist Church in Llangwm was founded on Christmas Day 1830, an old stone building opposite the junction of Williamston Terrace and the bottom of Butterhill. Some of what is left of the old chapel can still be found in what is now part of the present Chapel car park.

24 founding members stood in a semi-circle around the preacher Henry Evans, and, with joined hands, solemnly took the pledge of a Covenant - 20 clauses incorporating their confession of faith. One founder member was William Pickins, who fought in the Battle of Waterloo (1815). In 1834, nine more were added to the church by baptism and three by restoration.

A Sabbath School was set up following a public meeting on 24th June 1836.  The name Galilee was chosen as appropriate to the location of a little chapel in a fishing village on the banks of a tidal river near the sea.

The present chapel was built on a new much larger site in 1904, with red sandstone quarried at Port Lion, and funded by events and donations. The Baptist cause grew in strength in Llangwm and Galilee was noted for its Sunday School anniversaries, harvest festivals, the redoubtable choir, fine congregational singing and, in pre-television days, the Christmas Day concerts.