Home Visiting Llangwm Walks Facebook Links Contact

Welcome to Llangwm, Pembrokeshire

Accommodation Local Services

St Jerome's Church

The Church in Wales

Contact

To arrange a baptism, wedding, funeral, or to talk to the rector on any matter please contact the Reverend Marcus Zipperlen: 

Tel: 01437 899548

Email: marcus@zipperlen.com


Services

Sundays
1st Sunday in the month at 10.00 am - Family Worship.

2nd, 3rd & 4th Sunday in month at 9.00 am - Parish Eucharist (with Sunday School).

5th Sunday in month at 10.00 am - Combined Eucharist with Johnston & Freystrop, rotating between the churches. 

Wednesdays
9.30 am - Said Eucharist.

Full details of services and contact information for the clergy and church wardens can be found at http://www.heritagellangwm.org.uk/stjeromes.html


The Life Today

St Jerome’s is a thriving village church meeting each week for worship on Sundays and Wednesday.  Children all always very welcome, and  play an integral part in all Sunday worship.

Visitors to Llangwm are always welcome to visit the church and The Talking Tapestry of Langum housed within, which uses an app that can be downloaded into visitors’ smartphones in turn telling them the full story of the Flemish settlements and the De la Roche family. 

The church is open from Easter to the end of September every day from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm.

St. Jerome's Church has an excellent and intimate acoustic and as a result, the church mounts fundraising concerts and events. These not only proved popular with audiences, but also with those musicians who have performed here. The mid-winter series of lunchtime concerts have proved particularly popular and are performed to sell-out audiences.  The concerts range from Opera to Jazz, from Medieval to Folk and from Gospel to Classical Guitar. 


The History of St Jerome’s

The Parish Church of St Jerome stands just below the village green.  The church was endowed by Adam de la Roche between 1185 and 1215.  There is also strong evidence that a church or other religious building stood on this site several centuries before the present one was built.  The Welsh name Llangwm translates as “Church in the Valley"

St. Jerome's underwent an extensive renovation in the late 1870s and many of its medieval features were removed.  But there were still reminders of its earlier heritage.  These include two stones standing out from the wall above the pulpit and are understood to be all that remains of the medieval staircase that led to a minstrel's gallery.  A more recent renovation in 2016, while bringing the church into the 21st century, with toilet facilities and an environmentally friendly under floor heating system, great efforts were made to enhance the medieval aspects of the church.

Other medieval features include the limestone font which has a plain square bowl and a cylindrical base and dates back to the 12th century.  It is believed that Adam’s own children were the first to be christened in this font.  From the outside of the church on the south wall of the chancel can be seen the remains of a leper window.  It is said that Lepers would wait there to take communion or receive a blessing from the priest.

The north aisle or the De la Roche chapel is the one part of the church left virtually unscathed during the Victorian renovation, with plenty of reminders of its mid 14th century beginnings.  At the junction of the north aisle with the chancel there is a hagioscope or 'squint'.  This was so that the lord and lady of the manor could enjoy mass with their own family priest using the Squint to synchronise his Mass with that being celebrated in the Chancel.

Also in the north aisle are two effigies set back in their own beautifully carved niches, one of a knight in full armour and a most interesting feature are the beautiful shoes he wears.  As part of the renovation project, he was identified as Sir Robert de la Roche (1315 to 1347).  The second is of an elegantly attired lady of an earlier generation to the knight.  She is Lady Margaret de la Roche née Reade (1254 to 1315) and was Sir Robert’s grandmother on his father’s side.  Sir Robert had died at the age of 32, his son John was sent to live with his Aunt Isobel near Warwick.  The purpose of the chapel was the family making a statement… “We are an important family in Pembrokeshire and we’ll be back.”  John did return to Llangwm in the early 1360s to reclaim his lands.

The church was dedicated to St. Jerome in 1786, although it is now believed to have been dedicated to Heiron before that. Those with a knowledge of Latin will know that Heiron means Jerome. This church is in line with the two other Llangwms in Wales, one in the North and the other in Monmouthshire.  Both those churches have now been closed.